Thursday, February 5, 2009

About Psychoanalytic Paper.


When deciding which one of the many short stories to begin writing about I reflected on my life and picked the one that most spoke to me. I ended up picking the short story by Daniel Orozco, "Orientation." I just felt that this story reminded me of the orientation i had for my serving job at TGI Friday's. They tell you a lot of things, about where things are, who people are, and things that you are not allowed to do. Plus it reflected the way that management or people above the servers feel as if they are in control and have the say in what you know and don't know. You know what i mean if you went to a shift meeting, they focus in on the goals, and possible ways to avoid conflicts, and the corporation ultimately letting you go.

But as you read the story it you hear the sarcastic almost ridiculous tone that Daniel Orozco is making when he states some of the situations that the reader is placed into. It reminds me of a video that was posted on funnyordie. com that is making fun of the way the corporation of TGI Friday's works. It can be crude for some audiences, but i think ultimately if you have ever worked at a TGI Friday's it is pretty spot on. So i attached the video if anyone wanted to visit the site to check it out.
Anyways back to the story I found many different issues going on with the characters of the story, maybe because of the number of characters included in the story. Some of the issues or imagery that i found were male imagery with the printer blade, possible sexual aggression in the workplace, female imagery with the man sitting in the women's bathroom stale, the fear of death has a vibe in the story, and so does the fear of betrayal and abandonment. Another way of looking at the story, which I didn't notice the first time I read it was the fear of intimacy that the narrator had because he knew almost everything in the story yet he didn't seem to close to anybody in the entire piece. He was more like a tree that is surrounding a house, nobody really knows it is there and it has a surreal closeness to everything else around it.
So the plan is to discuss that story and the paper is due 2/9/09. And also I found a few mistakes I made in the last one and will be correcting that too, which is also due on the same day.

No comments:

Post a Comment